- About the Programme
PhD programme of the Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam (IIMV) is a research-intensive doctoral program aimed at imparting high-quality training in research. IIMV’s PhD programme aims primarily at training prospective scholars to excel in their chosen areas of research through high-quality publications. This programme would also groom scholars to be highly skilled teachers.
- Areas of Specializations
IIMV offers specialization in the following areas for the 2022 batch:
- Decision Sciences
- Economics & Social Sciences
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Systems
- Organizational Behaviour & Human Resource Management
- Production & Operations Management
- Duration of the Programme
Students are expected to complete the programme within 5 years.
Candidates should have
- A Master's Degree (bachelor’s degree obtained in 10+2+3 pattern, followed by a master’s degree) or a Post Graduate Diploma (2 years) in any discipline, with at least 55*# percent marks in the bachelor’s as well in the master’s degrees.
- A professional qualification like CA, ICWA, CS with at least 50*# percent marks and B. Com/Degree with 55*# percent marks
- 4 year / 8 semesters bachelor’s degree (10+2+4 pattern) with at least 6.5 CGPA or equivalent.
* The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution. In the case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ Institution. If any University/Institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
# Five percent marks relaxation is given to SC, ST, and PwD candidates.
The above qualification should be from any of the Universities, or other educational institutions, incorporated by an act of the Parliament or State legislature in India; or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956; or, recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Candidates who are in the final year of their qualifying Programs that would make them eligible can also apply. Such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally only if they submit a certificate latest by July 31, 2022** from the Principal / Head of the Department / Registrar or Director of the University / Institute (issued on or before July 31, 2022)** stating that they have appeared for the examinations (including practical examinations) in all the subjects required for obtaining the Master's / Bachelor's degree/equivalent qualification. Their admission will be confirmed only when they submit the mark sheet and the certificate of having passed the Master's / Bachelor's degree / equivalent qualification referred to in the certificate issued by Principal / Registrar of their college / Institute. The deadline for submission of the marks sheet and the Certificate is December 31, 2022**. Please note that those candidates who have applied based on their master’s degree will have to meet the 55% marks stipulation, and those who have applied based on their bachelor's degree (10+2+4 pattern) will have to meet the 6.5 CGPA or equivalent stipulation. Non-fulfillment of these conditions will automatically result in the cancellation of the provisional admission.
IIMV is committed to providing admissions to persons from different social and economic backgrounds. The PhD programme at IIM Visakhapatnam has seats reserved for Indian nationals belonging to certain categories. The categories and the extent of reservation effective for PhD 2022 are: 15% of the seats of Scheduled Caste (SC) candidates; 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates; 27% for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the “Non-Creamy” layer (NC-OBC); 5% seats are reserved for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) within each category and 10% seats are reserved for Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs).
For the purpose of being considered for reservations, the applicable Central Government list as on the date of submission of applications (January 05, 2022– 17:00 IST) ** shall be binding. No subsequent changes will be effective for PhD 2022. The candidates claiming admissions in the reserved categories need to also note the eligibility requirements carefully before applying. It should be noted that while it is the endeavor of IIMV that the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD/NC-OBC/EWSs categories join the programme, they have to meet the minimum eligibility criteria and a certain minimum level of performance to be considered for the admission process.
- Test Scores
Candidates require a valid test score, from any one of the acceptable tests for the area(s) of specialization they are applying to, as shown in the following table.
Area of Specialization
Acceptable Test Scores
Economics & Social Sciences
Finance & Accounting
OB & HR
Production & Operations Management
CAT/GMAT/GRE/GATE/JRF(NET)8 /CSIR (NET)9
- JRF(NET) in Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Defence and Strategic Studies, Population Studies*, Forensic Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science, Environmental Sciences.
- JRF(NET) in Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Commerce, Management, Computer Science and applications, Mathematical Science, Physical Science.
- JRF(NET) in Economics, Sociology, Management
- JRF(NET) in Commerce & Management
- JRF(NET) in Economics/Commerce/Population Studies/Management/Forensic Science/ Computer Science and Applications/ Electronic Science/ Environmental Sciences
- JRF(NET) in Management/Commerce
- Political Science/ Philosophy/ Psychology/ Sociology/ Anthropology/ Education/ Social Work/ Public Administration/ Management/ Indian Culture/ Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/ Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management/ Women Studies/ Human Rights and Duties/ Tourism Administration and Management.
- JRF(NET) in Economics/Commerce/Population Studies/Management/Forensic Science/ Computer Science and Applications/ Electronic Science/ Environmental Sciences. Only the applicants who have qualified NET/JRF exam will be considered.
- CSIR (NET) in Mathematical Sciences as an eligibility score.
- A minimum work experience of two years is required for application in Strategy area.
All candidates should mandatorily provide the test score, which should be valid as on January 05, 2022 (17:00 IST) **, while submitting the application.
- Applicants opting for GMAT or GRE should upload a copy of their official GMAT scores along with the Applicants who have not received the official scorecard, should upload the TEST TAKER COPY along with the application, but submit the OFFICIAL SCORECARD before the interviews.
- Applicants opting for Common Admission Test (CAT 2021) should provide their CAT 2021 registration number in the online application. The CAT 2021 scores made available to IIMV will be used in the assessment of the
- Applicants opting for GATE or JRF (NET) score should upload their valid SCORECARD along with the application
- Candidates should get their GMAT scores officially reported to the Institute using the code: NF 1-2C-79. Candidates should get their GRE scores officially reported to the Institute using the code: 4424
- Application Fee
The application fee (Non-Refundable) is Rs. 500/- for all candidates. You can pay the fee through the link (http://bit.ly/IIMVFEE) and the Online Fee payment instructions mentioned at “Admissions PhD programme Admission Phases” on the IIM Visakhapatnam website (www.iimv.ac.in ).
Based on the information provided by the applicants, selected candidates will be shortlisted (on the recommendation of the respective areas) and called to Visakhapatnam for an interview (see PhD 2022 Area-wise Admissions Process for details).
Interviews are expected to be held in the third week of May 2022**.
Candidates will be admitted to the programme based on a combination of multiple parameters, as specified by the respective areas. Parameters may include the applicant's performance in GMAT/GRE, CAT/GATE/ JRF (NET) score, past academic performance, interview performance, etc.
Candidates selected for admission are required to attend an Orientation and Preparatory Programme which is expected to be scheduled during the last week of June 2022**. Registration for the programme will be in the last week of June 2022**.
We strongly encourage candidates seeking careers in academics to apply.
- Financial Support
PhD students in good standing will receive a stipend of Rs 30,000 per month in the first year with a 10% annual increment up to a maximum of five years in addition to a tuition fee waiver. Students are required to be in attendance on a full-time basis and devote all their time to coursework and research and are also required to provide teaching and research assistance. Other financial support made available to students includes:
- Contingency grant Rs 75,000/- (in Year 1) and Rs 25,000/- (annually from Year 2 to Year 5) to meet expenses on purchasing books, out of station visits for data collection, other research-related work,
- HRA for married students who live off-campus, monthly 7,500/ or rent whichever is less
- International Conference grants of up to Rs.3,00,000/- and National Conference grants of up to Rs. 60,000/- towards accepted papers (prior approval needed).
- How to Apply
Online applications need to be filled up at the Admissions page of the IIM Visakhapatnam website. You have to make sure that all the desired attachments are uploaded. Please verify your completed online application before submitting the same. The last date for submission of application is March 16, 2022 (17: 00 IST) **, along with the necessary enclosures mentioned in the application form. Please note that candidates can apply to a maximum of two areas of specialization.
**All of these are tentative dates
The admission criteria for the PhD 2022 batch may be changed before the declaration of results. This admission process is applicable for the PhD 2022 admissions cycle only. IIMV reserves the right to change/modify any part of the process, with due notice, at any stage of the admission process. Any dispute concerning Admissions for the PhD 2022 batch would be subject to the jurisdiction of the competent courts within the territorial jurisdiction of the city of Visakhapatnam only.
Area wise Admission Process for 2022 Batch will be updated soon.
Candidates who wish to be considered under EWS category, should send us the documentary evidence (EWS certificate) regarding their status as per the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment OM No. 20013/01/2018-BC-II dated 17th January 2019 (placed below for your reference).