Swachhta Pakhwada at IIM Visakhapatnam
Comprehensive report on the steps taken and activities carried out during
Swachhta Pakhwada (September 01 – 15, 2016)
As per the instructions of the Coordinating Ministry of Swachch Pakhwada, the following activities were carried out at the Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam:
1) Mass pledge by all students, faculty and staff of IIM Visakhapatnam
As part of the 'Swachch Pakhwada' fortnight announced by the Government of India, students and employees of the Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam participated in a mass pledge-taking ceremony on September 08, 2016. All the participants took a pledge to devote at least 100 hours per year to voluntarily work for cleanliness on a mission to take the Swachh Bharat campaign forward.
Students, faculty and staff participate in the mass pledge-taking ceremony
2) Observation of Swachh Day on September 09, 2016 by carrying out cleanliness activities at R K Beach, Visakhapatnam As part of the 'Swachch Pakhwada' fortnight announced by the Government of India, the Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam observed SWACHH DAY on September 9, 2016. The students and employees of the institute took part in the cleanliness drive at Rama Krishna Beach at Visakhapatnam with great enthusiasm. RK Beach was specifically selected for cleaning due to the recent immersion of Lord Ganesh idols and the related puja material into the sea. All of them were very happy to contribute to this good cause and appreciated the Government’s initiative.
Students cleaning the waste
Students and staff carrying the waste to be discarded
The cleaning-up act in full swing
3) Talk by head of institution and students on importance of cleanliness and sanitation Staff and students enthusiastically participated in the talk organized on September 14, 2016 as part of the Swachch Pakhwada program conducted at the institute from September 01 to September 15, 2016. G Janaki Ramachandram, Head - Academic Programmes and Administration, shared her own experiences on cleanliness and explained the importance of cleanliness and sanitation in our daily lives. C Adhityan, President of Student Affairs Council motivated his classmates to keep the campus and hostel rooms clean by giving examples from his recent travel. E Manoj, a student of the PGP Class of 2018, gave examples from his college days and described how easy it is to keep the surroundings clean by inculcating good habits in one’s daily routine.
G Janaki Ramachandram, Head - Academic Programmes and Administration, explains the importance of cleanliness and sanitation in our daily lives
E Manoj, a student of the PGP Class of 2018, relates how easy it is to keep the surroundings clean by inculcating good habits in one’s daily routine
Adhityan motivates his classmates on cleanliness and sanitation
4) Organizing essay competition on cleanliness
Students participated in the essay-writing competition themed on “10 ways to make IIM Visakhapatnam campus and hostel cleaner” as part of the Swachch Pakhwada program conducted on September 15, 2016. Four students participated in the competition. The best essay has been selected and was displayed on the notice board.
5) Inspection of sanitary facilities
Dr. M Sudha, Medical Officer and Ms. Padma, nurse have conducted inspection of all the facilities at the campus and hostels over a period of three days from September 12 to September 14, 2016. As part of the inspection, all the hostel rooms, common dining area, office blocks, classrooms, etc. were covered and the premises were found to be clean. They have also scheduled to inspect the premises on a regular basis and submit the report to the administration.
The Health Centre team during inspection